A book that introduces in detail the processes such as disassembly (disassembly), assembly, and seat replacement for chairs called masterpiece chairs such as The Chair and chairs designed by famous designers such as Finn Juhl.
While introducing these, the author explores the characteristics, structure, and thoughts of the designer of each chair.
1) What kind of technology is used: joining method, how to give strength, ingenuity to make the best use of design, ingenuity in hidden parts that cannot be seen from the outside, etc.
2) Pros and cons
3) Material: Type of wood used, paper cord for seat knitting, contents of upholstery (cotton, cloth, horsehair, urethane, etc.), etc.
4) How did the designer work on the chair?
5) Posted chairs (18 chairs)
・ Super Leggera [Gio Ponti]
・ The Chair (JH501) [Hans J. Wegner]
・ Y chair (CH24) [Hans J. Wegner]
・ Bear chair [Hans J. Wegner]
・ JH504 [Hans J. Wegner]
・ CH23 [Hans J. Wegner]
・ Egg chair [Arne Jacobsen]
・ Seven Chair [Arne Jacobsen]
・ Easy Chair No.45 [Finn Juhl]
・ Armchair No.46 [Finn Juhl]
・ Armchair No.48 [Finn Juhl]
・ J.L. Moller No.77 [Niels Otto Moller]
・ Eva [Bruno Mattson]
・ FD130 [Peter Wit & Orla Morgo Nielsen]
・ Siesta [Ingmar Bergman]
・ Safari chair [Kaare Klint]
・ MK Chair [Mogens Koch]
・ Paper cord knitting folding chair JAPAN
■ Table of contents
● Dismantle the chair (JH501)
● Disassemble, assemble, and replace the seat of the Y chair
● Peel off the upholstery of the bare chair (AP19)
● Dismantle and repair JH504
● Dismantle and repair CH23
● Put Finn Juhl No.45 in the frame state
● Peel off the leather upholstery of Finn Juhl No.46
● Dismantle and repair Finn Juhl No.48
● Peel off the leather upholstery of the egg chair
● Dismantle Super Leggera
● Dismantle and repair Eva
● Dismantle and repair J.L. Moller No. 77 with broken front legs
● Disassemble and assemble FD130
● Disassemble and assemble the safari chair
● Disassemble and assemble the siesta
● Disassemble and assemble the MK chair
● Dismantle and repair the paper cord knitting “folding chair”
● Dismantle and repair the Seven Chair
- Release Date:
- December, 2020
- Seibundo shinkosha
Born in 1958. graphic designer. President of Nippon Design Center. He is a professor at Musashino Art University.
Including the “RE-DESIGN: Everyday 21st Century” exhibition, which has traveled around the world and has had a wide impact, exhibitions with keywords that update existing values such as “HAPTIC”, “SENSEWARE”, and “Ex-formation” Develop educational activities. He also practiced designs deeply rooted in Japanese culture in the opening and closing ceremonies of the Nagano Olympics and in the promotion of the Aichi Expo.
Since 2002 he has been an art director of MUJI. He works on VIs such as Matsuya Ginza, Mori Building, Tsutaya Bookstore, GINZA SIX, and MIKIMOTO. He was a general producer at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs “JAPAN HOUSE”.
Kenya Hara’s Books
Kenya Hara – design works¥2,530